Spring Clean Your Thoughts


So I just did a little bit of “spring” cleaning. I know it’s mid May, summers across the street and I’m super late with this task, but hey..I’m just happy I had time off to do so! 

Anyway, during my closet purge I came across one of my favorite things which also happens to be the thing that makes me cringe the most..my journal(s)! 

Seriously! I love keeping a journal and writing my thoughts out. I’ve found this to be one of my biggest stress relievers and the safest way for me to express myself. Keeping a journal may seem childish to some, and some may feel like they don’t have time keep a “diary.” However, I highly recommend making journaling one of your NEW fav hobbies. 

There are no rules when it comes to journaling. You don’t have to end your story short because you feel like you’ve talked too much. You don’t have to hold back any emotions. You don’t have to use commas, periods or any proper grammar or punctuation at all. I draw on some pages when I’m too lazy to write, I write down to-do list, goals, letters to my future self and just all of my random thoughts through out the day. My journal is my safe haven, an object that allows me to freely express myself knowing that I can’t be judged....until a few months down the line when I’m cleaning or when I purposely go looking for an old one and then BOOM.. the cringing begins! Lol. 

If you keep a journal you probably know how this feels and so you get why I expressed it as one of my favorite, most exciting things to do as well as the perfect cring-tivity.

When I find an old journal I will read it from start to finish. I enjoy doing so because it allows me to revisit a lot of moments, both good and bad. I love when I come across an old list of goals that I’ve accomplished since then (pats self on the back). I love reading the letters that I wrote almost a year ago for my present self.. “Next year you’ll be in a better place mentally, spiritually and emotionally.” Those kind of letters hit different when you actually feel the growth. I’m absolutely disgusted reading entries from the days I felt strong emotions. It can be uncomfortable revisiting some of those moments. However, in that moment you cringe, you accept, you laugh and you feel strong gratitude knowing that you’ve been there, you've pushed through and today you’re doing better. 

Lately i've been feeling stagnant. Even on my days off, it’s really hard for me to fully relax. I get anxiety and beat myself up thinking of all of the things that I should or need to be doing; as if I don't deserve my one day off after working six days in a row.

A year ago today I was writing the very things that I am experiencing and living through today into existence. At that time I was preparing for graduation, another moment that I wrote and spoke into existence the year prior.  

My point is, we are constantly looking for what's next! Which isn't a bad thing. When you check one goal off your list, you move on to the next goal, right? It only becomes toxic when we become so caught up about the next phase of our lives, that we are not fully engaged and enjoying the present moment. This exact moment, whatever you’re going through or experiencing right now is probably something that you have once prayed for and dreamt about. Live in it, soak it in and be grateful you're here.  

Finding last years journal during this years spring cleaning was needed. It reminded me that I'm where I need to be and that I am growing in the right direction: my mindset, my thought patterns etc. 

My closet is cleaned and now my mind is refreshed knowing this. 

This is why I push the need to write out your everyday thoughts and feelings. Being able to look back at the way your mind wandered a year ago, and comparing it to your mental state today is an amazing feeling and probably the greatest motivation you’ll ever have to keep going! 

If you are new to writing, you will feel awkward at first. You may not know where to start, you may feel uncomfortable and decide that it’s not for you. Just remember, there are no rules to this task! It is for you and you only. It is my favorite way to express, reflect and grow and I deeply encourage it. 

So as summer season approaches and we start buying new clothes and swapping wardrobes, don't forget to take necessary time off to reset and clear your thoughts too. 


Comments

  1. I haven’t journaled in such a long time. There was a time i used to write in my diary every day lol . Good read sis. Maybe i should dive back into that routine❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment